Kevin Zraly is probably the most famous wine educator in the world. He's beginning his 33rd year of teaching the Windows on the World Wine Sc hool and has had over 19,000 graduates come through his class. I had the pleasure of interviewing Kevin at the NY Wine Expo last weekend. He tipped me off about a new book he's starting to write called "The Final Ingredient" about the Dos and Don'ts of understanding your food and your wine and why they work together. Look for the upcoming 25th Anniversary Edition of Windows on the World book. Here are some quick tips from Kevin Zraly:
Kevin Zraly's Quick Tips on Food & Wine Pairing:
1. It's all about the sauce and the way it's cooked - not just the main ingredient.
2. Ban scented candles and flowers from your dinner parties where the wine is the star.
3. Broccoli and asparagus are the hardest items to pair with wine, keep them off the plate for a wine dinner.
Kevin Zraly's Top Wine Values by Region:
1. Argentina for Malbec - best value for a big bold wine
2. Chile for Cabernet Sauvignon - the best value for Cab
3. Italy for Soave and Valpolicella - it's not what we once thought it was
4. France for Cru Bourgeois from Bordeaux - all the big Bordeaux taste at a fraction of the price
5. Australia for Bordeaux blends (aka Cabernet Sauvignon & Merlot) - it's not just for Shiraz any more